[ESS] Only interested in fontification

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 6 05:57:13 CEST 2009

This will not answer you question, but you could install a local
version of ESS, and then byte compile it. It is pretty easy
1) Download ess-5.3.11.tgz from the ESS website
2) Unpack the tarball somewhere, a "standard" place would be
   ~/.emacs.d
so that you will have a directory called
   ~/.emacs.d/ess-5.3.11
3) Add the following to your .emacs file

(load "~/.emacs.d/ess-5.3.11/lisp/ess-site")

(note, no .el ending).

4) Start Emacs and test that it works: open a file called test.R and
see that you are in R mode. Also do
C-h v ess-version
to check that the version is indeed 5.3.11
5) Finally, byte-compile ESS by entering the directory
~/.emacs.d/ess-5.3.11/lisp/
and execute the command I gave in an earlier email.

Kasper