[ESS] need help locating an old thread

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:06:15 CET 2011

On 02/10/11 03:45 AM, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>> 3) if 1 and 2 are not enough, then I would add:  who amongst us knows
>> SLIME?
>
> Me.  Using it on a weekly basis (a bit more than ESS, actually).
>

> The advantage of the streams is related to making it simpler to
> implement one of my pet wishes -- the ability to voice-over and
> evaluate the use of audio as a multimedia feedback to the data
> analyst, and evaluate communication styles which increase the
> efficiency of both knowledge extraction and communication.
>
> And it could ("tony dreaming again") increase the potential for
> smoother asynchronous communication.  i.e. when I type/submit too fast
> compared to the computations that are running, to queue them up.
>
> best,
> -tony

I'm still trying to imagine how it helps.  If R was written in Lisp,
then I can see that SLIME is exactly the right thing to do (maybe
XLispStat missed an opportunity here).

I do like the fact that SLIME discarded the really silly, and stupid,
"inferior" term in favor of "superior".  That has always bugged me.  And
as far as naming goes, I guess we are talking about SRIME which is a
pretty horrible acronym, but no worse than ESS I suppose.

Rodney