[ESS] Debug mode puts point in the wrong buffer

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 19 23:55:10 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> Marius Hofert <marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch>
>  >> on Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:25:38 +0200 wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>  > Okay, I just saw M-N, M-C etc. However, this time I don't understand your story.
>
>  > M-C stands for Meta + the letter 'C', right? Well, with the point in
>  > the script is in column 1 of the row containing the function
>  > definition. If I press M-C, the function name is capitalized.
>
> That is M-c.

Hi Vitalie,

this is a bit confusing: the minibuffer says ...

1) ... M-C and means M-S-c (although this can never be clear since the
keys on a keybard are already shown as uppercase letters whereas they
are lowercase if not pressed with shift... but okay). Why not write
M-S-c? at least it's then clear that M-C does *not* mean 'meta +
control'.

2) ... C-M-S-c for 'cont-multi' ... here, the 'Shift' is denoted by
'S', probably to avoid the confusion with C-M-C, where the first 'C'
is 'Control' and the second 'C'.

Okay, I now got it to work, but only because I put the point back in
the *R* buffer... that's exactly the behavior I don't understand. Why
do I always have to switch in the other buffer (back go *R*) first
before I can enter debug commands (be it either RET or M-N [indeed,
RET is even simpler in this case :-)]).

>  > Similarly, M-n / M-N (Meta + Shift + n) give me 'M-N is undefined'.
>  > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Strange. M is Alt on my keyboard.

here, too, of course.

>  So Alt+Shift+n gives M-N.

yes, that works now, but again, only from *R* (to which I have to
switch first manually).

> This shortcuts are available only when ess-debug-minor-mode is
> active. That is, when you see a red DB in the mode-line.

I see that, yes.

Cheers,

Marius