[ESS] Emacs, ESS and Rmarkdown: Is this the way compile is supposed to work?

Kevin Zembower kev|n @end|ng |rom zembower@org
Sun Apr 23 19:15:52 CEST 2023

Tyler, thanks again for your help.

I'm sorry to burden you with my problems, but I'm stuck again.

I think I have everything installed and up to date. Here's an excerpt
from M-x package-list-packages:
   markdown-mode      20220212.728  installed             Major mode for
Markdown-formatted text
   poly-R             20230416.1454 installed             Various
polymodes for R language
   poly-markdown      20230202.1210 installed             Polymode for
markdown-mode
   poly-noweb         20200316.1315 installed             Polymode for noweb
   polymode           20230317.1218 installed             Extensible
framework for multiple major modes

With the exception of poly-noweb, they're all 2023 packages.

Yet, when I open an *.Rmd file, I get this in the Messages buffer:

File mode specification error: (error Autoloading file
/home/kevin/.emacs.d/polymode/modes/poly-R.el failed to define function
poly-gfm+r-mode)
Package cl is deprecated

I then added your alternative define-polymode section, and the error
about poly-gfm+r-mode went away, but I still have this message in the
Messages buffer when I start Emacs with an *.Rmd file:

File mode specification error: (cl-no-applicable-method clone nil)
Package cl is deprecated

I can't find a reference to a 'cl' package in my init.el. In addition,
the *.Rmd file is in Fundamental mode, and not ESS or poly-R mode.

When I try to manually invoke the poly mode, with 'M-x poly-gfm+r-mode',
I get the message:

cl-no-applicable-method: No applicable method: clone, nil

Any ideas what's going on with my system? I'm so worried I'm just making
a hash of things with these changes.

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

-Kevin