[ESS] New Emacs Modified distributions - now double the pleasure!

Wed Aug 16 14:13:38 CEST 2023

    > Hi folks,
    > Back in April 2022 [*], I asked here if there was still interest in my distributions of Emacs that ship with ESS and AUCTeX ready to go. Since the response was generally positive, and since, more importantly, there is still interest from the first user of these distributions (that's me, at least on macOS), well I'm pleased to announce new releases of my Emacs Modified distributions for macOS and Windows:

    > https://emacs-modified.gitlab.io <https://emacs-modified.gitlab.io/>

    > Double the pleasure? The distributions now come in two editions: "Latest Emacs and ESS" based on GNU Emacs 29.1 and the tip of the development branch of ESS; "Legacy Emacs and ESS" based on Emacs 27.2 and ESS 18.10.2 (the latest official release). Everything else is the same. In other words, the "legacy" distributions now get the updates to the other packages, in particular AUCTeX. As someone who still prefers (or is too much used to) ESS 18.10, I felt left behind on the other fronts by my own distributions.

...  I am also sorry for the extra work you had, even though I
can argue there have been strong reasons not releasing "development ESS".

Still, at least two of us within ESS-core  have recently
acknowledged we'd want to aim for an official ESS release
where we'd aim to also release an 'ESS+' = {ess + (much of) polymode}
bundle.

    > This update required much more time than I originally thought, but everything is in place now. You will notice that I merged the two projects "Emacs Modified for macOS" and "Emacs Modified for Windows" under the umbrella project "Emacs Modified for (macOS|Windows)". A little touch of geekiness in the name is Good. (I flirted with the idea to use the true Emacs-lisp regex '\(macOS\|Windows\)', but it was too much.) :-D

Thank you very much, Vincent,  for doing this,
in the name of the whole ESS users community !

I will be happy to make use of it myself for the Windows version (on a
Windows terminal server) when I do test  R things on Windows.

    > I hope an editor of the ESS web page will read this; could you please update the links on the Download page?

I did ( ~  4 hours ago ).
Best regards,
Martin