[ESS] Strange problem with .Rnw files (emacs-modified-27.2-modified-3)

Vincent Goulet V|ncent@Gou|et @end|ng |rom @ct@u|@v@|@c@
Tue Aug 29 17:07:45 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I'm stumbling on a puzzling issue working with .Rnw files using my own Emacs distribution based on ESS 18.10.2. (Annoying since I stay on 27.2 precisely to work with Sweave files the classical ESS way.)

Version 27.2-modified-1 (March 2021) includes AUCTeX 12.3 and works just fine.

The latest (July 2023) version 27.2-modified-3 includes AUCTeX 13.2 and upon visiting a .Rnw file, the LaTeX mode is not activated. The mode line indicates: Fundamental Noweb NWFL. At first I thought this must be an AUCTeX issue or change, but then the only error message I get in the *Messages* buffer is:

File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument listp ess-inside-string-p)

Any idea what may cause this? To the best of my knowledge, ESS and the initialization files are identical in both versions.

Thanks in advance!

v.

Vincent Goulet
Professeur titulaire