[ESS] [R-win] Difficulty installing R packages under Windows 11 / Cygwin

Sun Dec 3 14:32:49 CET 2023

On 2 December 2023 at 22:06, Tomas Kalibera via ESS-help wrote:
| R is not being tested under WSL.

(From several arm lengths away:)  WSL2 appears to be very solid.

I had an early alpha tester of my (then brand-new) r2u [1] using and
stressing it, it appears to work a like regular Ubuntu system so 'everything
just works' yet it is on Windows. (Which I haven't touched in a decade+.)

Dirk

[1] r2u provides all of CRAN plus ~ 400 BioC package via apt with bspm as
added interface. So say install.packages(c("tidyverse", "rstan", "brms")) and
everything installs as binaries in 33 secs [2] with _all_ system dependencies
resolved via apt. (Also FYI, Inaki has a similar system for Fedora called
cran2copr.) More about r2u is at https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u

[2] Vidoe of that command running in 33 seconds in an empty container with
only R and r2u is at:
https://eddelbuettel.github.io/images/2023-12-03/r2u_tidyverse_rstan_brms_33secs_2023-12-03_07-26.gif

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org