[ESS] brms / cmdstanr crashes in emacs but not terminal

Joshua Wiley jw||ey@p@ych @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 26 02:35:20 CEST 2023

Hi All,

I normally work in Emacs (28.2 build 2)) on Windows 11 pro as an admin user.
Quite a few of my analyses these days use Stan (via cmdstanr and the brms
package as example).
I upgraded R to 4.3.0 and Stan. Now, I am quite reliably getting crashes
where my R process terminates when using Stan. For those not familiar, Stan
is in C++ and generates code which is then compiled into a custom C++ model
for that Bayesian analysis. The compilation is fine, but when it starts
sampling, I get this when I run via Emacs:

## Start sampling
## > >
## Process R finished at Fri May 26 10:32:05 2023

The reason I'm asking here and not just on Stan forums is that when I start
a terminal (cmd.exe) and start R there and run the exact same code, it
reliably finishes and does not crash.

I also tried M-x shell in Emacs and running R through that and also get a
crash.

If anyone knows a solution that would be great but at this stage I'd love
to hear even just ideas on _what_ the difference is? I guess in my head R
through terminal and R through Emacs were the same and so I'm not sure
where to even begin looking for causes.

Many thanks,

Josh

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]