[ESS] ess, noweb and polymode

LaurentEss |@urente@@ @end|ng |rom |ree@|r
Wed Nov 15 20:42:22 CET 2023

Dear ESS-list,

      Installing emacs to do literate programming, I have just
discovered that noweb-mode doesn't exist anymore. It has been replaced
by polymode if I well understood. So, I install from MELPA : ess,
polymode, poly-R, poly-markdown, poly-noweb and I placed in my .emacs.el
the following lines:

(require 'poly-R)
(require 'poly-markdown)
(require 'poly-noweb)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.[rR]nw" . poly-noweb+r-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.[rR]md" . poly-markdown+r-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.md$" . poly-markdown-mode))

;; Load ESS
(load "ess-autoloads")

It seems to work but I don't find anymore some usefull ess-noweb
shortcuts. For example, I liked M-n g (binded to ess-noweb-goto-chunk)
which showed me all the chunks names in a ring buffer at the bottom of
the frame (very convenient to move in large file). Also, with the old
ess versions it was possible to put all the line of the begining of
every chunk (<< >>=) in yellow (for example) and all the line of the end
of the chunk (@) in blue thanks to the ess-noweb-font-lock-mode.el file
which was very convenient.

Here are my questions:

1. Could you tell me if I didn't forget to install some emacs packages
to use polymode with noweb mode ?

2. If the two features described above really disappeared with yhe new
new version of ess with polymode, could you please give me some pointers
to try to get these two features in emacs ?

Thank you for your advice

Best regards

Laurent