[ESS] [External] R Transcript opens in readonly buffer

Ishe Chinyoka ch|nyok@@con@u|t@nt @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Sat Nov 25 23:00:56 CET 2023

Thanks Rich, I thought something was wrong with my setup. I had thought
that the transcript was to make it easy to carry on with a session after
knocking off from your computer for some time.

But then one queer thing is that when I set  the variable
ess-ask-about-transfile which, according to the ESS Manual in Section
4.2.4., is meant to let me save my session by providing a name at the
start of the session. When I do that, it means that R always starts in
readonly mode the moment I provide a name to save the session under. For
example, typing, rainfall_patterns_in_africa.Rout will not let me do
anything in that session. So how can we reconcile the usage of this
variable and that transcripts are not meant to be edited? In fact, the
manual seems to suggest that it's possible to just save a session in a
transcript and manipulate it later on with resubmission of commands in
the transcript. What is happening to me right now is that Emacs seems
not to associate my transcripts with the essay-r mode. Trying M-p to
choose a previous command brings up the message, "Not a valid command".

Thanks again for your help. Otherwise so far, in other respects, Ess in
emacs is working fine: only having issues with these transcripts.

Ishe