[ESS] How to Duplicate Previous Functionality/Workflow

Bassett Jr,Roland L r|b@@@et @end|ng |rom md@nder@on@org
Fri Sep 22 03:43:24 CEST 2023

I finally bit the bullet and am trying to learn polymode in Emacs and ESS.  Previously, I could use ESS to knit a .Rnw file with M-n r to create a LaTeX file and use M-n P to create and view the resulting PDF file.  I'm trying to create a similar workflow in polymode.  I understand that I can weave the file using M-n w and export it using M-n e.  However, it always asks me to choose a weaver and an exporter.  I'm using emacs 29.1 and ESS 18.10.3 snapshot.  Three issues/questions:

  1.  How can I customize the weaver and the exporter so that it doesn't ask each time?  I have customized the file formats to use the same name rather than adding "woven" and "exported" by:

(custom-set-variables

'(polymode-weaver-output-file-format "%s")

'(polymode-exporter-output-file-format "%s"))

But I can't figure out similar commands to choose a default weaver or exporter.

  1.  How can I customize the exporter to use my preferred PDF viewer (evince) instead of DocView?
  2.  Different topic, but how can I duplicate the functionality of the "_" key to insert "<-" instead of just "_"?

Roland Bassett
Principal Biostatistician
Department of Biostatistics - Unit 1411
Faculty Center Tower FCT4.6071
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
P.O. Box 301402
Houston, TX 77230

Phone: 713-563-4272
Fax: 713-563-4242
Email: rlbasset using mdanderson.org<mailto:rlbasset using mdanderson.org>

The information contained in this e-mail message may be ...{{dropped:14}}