[ESS] Error installing on Mac

Fri Mar 8 12:05:12 CET 2024

    > Hi all,

    > I'm updating ESS by installing from source. I uncommented the MacOS related lines from makeconfig, but I get this error:

I think you mean  ess/Makeconf, right?

In there, indeed it uses things like

PREFIX=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources
EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

    >> make
    > /bin/sh: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs: No such file or directory

and obviously your Emacs is not at the above 'EMACS=....' location.
I have no make at disposal, but maybe a Mac user can help:

Where is your Emacs installing into?

    > ********************* VERSIONS **************************

    > ESS 24.01.1
    > ESSR 1.8
    > sed: 1: "lisp/ess-custom.el": extra characters at the end of l command
    > make: *** [version] Error 1

    > This error appears to be related to the fact that the BSD sed on Mac is different than the GNU sed.

hmm.. our Makefile only uses pretty basic  'sed' calls; hence I'm not sure.
Also strange that the error messages end with "end of l command"
-- in the few sed uses in our Makefile/Makeconf  I only see
versions of  sed s/.../  or  sed "s| ...|p"  i.e., not  "l command"..

    > I looked for a similar issue on GitHub but didn't find anything.

Would installing the whole bundle   Emacs+ESS+{more}
from Vincent Goulet's website, mentioned
at   https://ess.r-project.org/  i.e.
     https://ess.r-project.org/index.php?Section=download

be an option: For a few years now  it's been
as   https://emacs-modified.gitlab.io/  then for macOS
at   https://emacs-modified.gitlab.io/macos/

however that currently is not using the latest ESS version (but
something quite close to it).

Still agree that would be a workaround,  and we should try to
ensure that macOS users can install ESS from the sources.

I have started to recommend installing the 'ess' package