Fortran character strings

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik@ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:14:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Has anyone ever successfully used Fortran character strings with R?
> ?Foreign says

>          R              C                  Fortran
>       integer       int *              integer
>       character     char **            [compiler dependent]

>      Character strings are passed as C arrays of character
>      strings to Fortran: the first string may be usable if
>      its length is passed separately.

> and I have been taking a look. The linkage sends char ** to Fortran.
> On the other hand, INTPR and DBLEPR assume Fortran character strings
> are char *.  On all my systems DBLEPR works and .Fortran does not, but
> I do know of one compiler (Watcom Fortran for Windows NT) where the
> linkage really is equivalent to char **.

> Fortran in S takes the first string in a character vector and passes
> that as char * (except on the Watcom-compiled Windows version), as far
> as I can deduce without the source code.

> I think we should either ban character strings in .Fortran or follow
> the S prototype unless someone has a way around this.  With different
> compilers on the same platform having different conventions whatever
> we do (except a ban) will be compiler-dependent.

> Any suggestions?

Hmm ... this is someone not knowing what is going (i.e., me) commenting
on this.

I touched this once when porting Rousseeuw's cluster routines to R,
maybe the thread is in the r-core archives.  I seem to recall that
someone told me that this was really a compiler-specific issue and hence
could/should not be part of the API.  (In the specific case, it was a
0/1 string so I found a different solution.)

(Btw, why do we map integer to int * and not long *?)

-k

PS.  A comment on ?.External:  We have

         list          void * (SEXP *)
         other         void * (SEXP)

I think this (showing the alternative in parenteses) may be confusing.
Shouldn't we show the preferred method in the table and mention the
alternative somewhere in the text following?

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"