[Rd] display URLs in browsers

Martin Maechler Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:05:41 +0200

    DougB> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
    >> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Kurt Hornik wrote:

    >> > Does anyone know how to get browsers other than Netscape to
    >> display > URLs?

    >> > mozilla
    >>
    >> I don't know about mozilla (I think Doug uses it), but it looks very
    >> like Netscape 6.01, and that does *seem* to use the Netscape 4.*
    >> syntax, alkthough the --help does not mention it.

    DougB> I tried mozilla for a while but eventually shifted back to
    DougB> netscape.  Tony Rossini has more experience with mozilla than I
    DougB> do.

    DougB> I did try to make the link from R to mozilla.  As I recall I
    DougB> didn't get it working because I couldn't work out how to pass
    DougB> the information for the initial page to open.  Since I don't
    DougB> tend to use help.start() it wasn't a big priority for me.

Since I am at home .. :
With the newest (as 2 days ago) mozilla "M18-3" for stable Debian GNU/Linux
I get for "mozilla -help"

Usage: /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin [ options ... ] [URL]
       where options include:

        -height <value>         Set height of startup window to <value>.
        -h or -help             Print this message.
        -installer              Start with 4.x migration window.
        -width <value>          Set width of startup window to <value>.
        -v or -version          Print /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin version.
        -CreateProfile <profile>                Create and start with
        -<profile>.
        -P <profile>            Start with <profile>.
        -ProfileWizard          Start with profile wizard.
        -ProfileManager         Start with profile manager.
        -SelectProfile          Start with profile selection dialog.
        -splash         Enable splash screen.
        -compose <url>          Start with messenger compose.
        -edit <url>             Start with editor.
        -terminal               Start with a command line terminal
        -mail           Start with mail.
        -chrome <url>           Start with browser.
        -addressbook            Start with the addressbook.
        -chat           Start with an IRC chat client
        -jsconsole              Start with Javascript Console
        -news           Start with news.

which suggests that

      mozilla -chrome http://www.R-project.org/

does what you want. But uuh, yes, it starts a browser with the R page,
but in the usual mode: I get one "full screen" window, but nothing from the
usual tool buttons, URL entry, ... things of netscape/mozilla.

Also the above always starts a  new mozilla, i.e. does not do what we really
want: open an URL in any already running browser.

Martin

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"