LispStat, R and ViSta [was: Re: Status?]

Duncan Temple Lang duncan@research.bell-labs.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:06:21 -0400

Hi Forrest.

  It is definitely preferable to avoid giving up existing XLisp-Stat
code, especially when the facilities you probably want are not
currently part of R. Working from the RGtk or tcltk packages to create
dynamic graphics involves a lot of work, both design and programming
given that the R graphics are based on a static model.

  I wonder if ggobi and the programmatic access via Rggobi and RGtk
would give you similar facilities to what currently exists in XLisp.

 As you mention, it would be easiest to combine R and XLisp-Stat so
that you could use existing XLisp code and make use of R's statistical
functionality, etc. This is a perfect example for the use of embedding
one system inside the other; something we have done as part of the
Omegahat project for numerous languages.

So with some vital help from Luke, I have created an R package that
provides a very experimental interface between R and XLisp by allowing
XLisp to be embedded in R. The package contains and requires some
minor modifications to XLisp which allow it to be used as a shared
library and currently this only works on Unix.  It allows one to call
arbitray XLisp functions, however there is an issue with the graphics
that I haven't sorted out yet.  It did take less than a day
to put together so far, so I am reasonable confident that I and others
can iron out the details and make it reasonably complete and robust.

The package is available from
  http://www.omegahat.org/RXLisp

Given that I only spent a day on it, don't expect too much
in the way of documentation, etc. Just e-mail me if you
have problems. I'd be very happy to hear from interested
people and we can

 Duncan.