[Rd] How do I know if the deviance of a glm fit was fixed?

Gordon Smyth smyth@wehi.edu.au
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:52:57 +1100

I think that it could improve the glm family function to include an
argument or attribute that tells explicitly that the dispersion is fixed,
equivalent to the $scale declaration in GLIM. This would be set T by
default for the binomial and Poisson families and F by default for most
other families. This could be done I think in a way which would add extra
features but would not contradict the S-Plus "Blue Book". In effect, I
would like the dispersion to be considered part of the "fit" of a glm
because it is needed for standard errors and hypothesis testing.

The advantage of an explicit fixed-dispersion-attribute would come when
(i) the dispersion happens to be known even though the dispersion is not
always known for the response family being used. Eg the family is Gamma but
you know that the responses are multiples of chi-square random variables on
1 df.
(ii) someone defines a new glm family, other than the binomial or Poisson,
with fixed dispersion
(iii) one want to use a binomial or Poisson family with variable
dispersion, without switching to the quasi family.

In case (i), you can work around by calling summary with dispersion=2 (for
chisquare_1 responses), but not all functions which take glm.objects as
arguments have a dispersion argument. And in the spirit of object
orientated programming, shouldn't the glm.object contain all the
information necessary to construct a standard error or anova from it?

I am enjoying becoming a regular R user. Thanks to all for your work in
providing a terrific piece of free software.
Gordon Smyth