[Rd] BLAS/Lapack for OS X

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 30 21:35:02 2002

Since this may lead to some misunderstandings, I will elaborate a bit.

Darwin is BSD 4.4 on top of the Mach 3.0 OSF kernel (not the old
microkernel). Some IPC and threading components are taken from the
Mach part, otherwise all of FreeBSD 4.4 is there. Much is added: VSF,
Journalling, CUPS, gcc and friends. A version of Darwin for x86 machines
is available  from CVS. All of it is open source.

Brian is right that Darwin is not Unix, neither are FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, and the various Linuxes. Unix is a trademark owned
by the Open Group, and none of the above mentioned OS's are
registered. See

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/printer/9451/

for more details, and

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html

for some history and propaganda.

Of course Mac OS X is certainly not Unix, because it adds Quartz,
OpenGL, Aqua,
Cocoa, Carbon, Classic on top of the Darwin Mach/BSD layer. But
currently, for
the Darwin/X11 version, none of those top layers are used, and we just
add Xfree86 to get the GUI (and all of gnome if we want the extension
module).

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 07:04 AM, ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
wrote:

> Not at all.  Dynamic linking works on Linux and Solaris, for example.
> Who knows about non-Unix OS's like MacOS, though?

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au