[Rd] computation with vectors of length 0 (PR#2716)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 17:13:43 MEST 2003

Your report is `obviously misleading', as you seem unaware of the standard
mathematical definitions.  You also seem unaware that R statements are
terminated by a newline, so you have a while series of empty statements
and should not have the semicolons.

The sum of an empty vector is 0, by definition.
The mean of an empty vector is 0/0 = NaN, by definition.
The variance and hence the standard deviation are undefined unless n >= 1.

None of them are missing, so it would be incorrect to return NA.

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 klaus.hermann at metagen.de wrote:

> Full_Name: Klaus Hermann
> Version: 1.5.0
> OS: SUNRAY - Unix
> Submission from: (NULL) (213.61.59.254)
>

> if we produce a numeric vector of length 0 and want compute the sum over its
> elements
> the sum function returns 0 - this is obviously misleading. Better would be to
> return
> NA  and give a corresponding warning.
> There should be a unified strategy to handle vectors of length 0.

There is: to use the standard mathematical definitions.  One could debate
what var(numeric(0)) should be, but we decided that was most consistently
an error.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk