[Rd] pacf.mts

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Apr 4 11:19:33 MEST 2003

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     PaulG> I am getting the following:
>
>     PaulG> *** Weave Errors ***
>     PaulG> Error in driver$runcode(drobj, chunk, chunkopts) :
>     PaulG> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : couldn't find
>     PaulG> function "pacf.mts"
>
>     PaulG> *** Source Errors ***
>     PaulG> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : couldn't find
>     PaulG> function "pacf.mts"
>     PaulG> make[1]: *** [checkVignettes] Error 1
>
>     PaulG> I don't really understand the new namespace
>     PaulG> mechanism, so I am not sure if this is a problem with
>     PaulG> R-1.7.0beta, or because of a change I should be
>     PaulG> making in my code. Does it make sense that the
>     PaulG> generic pacf is found, but not the method pacf.mts?
>
> yes, that was the idea of "hiding" methods in the namespace,
> such that users cannot call the methods directly.
>
>     PaulG> (I am calling pacf and not pacf.mts.)
>
> hmm, so I don't see why the problem above happens.
> Can you give a bit more details on how you triggered the errors
> above ?

First I just wanted to confirm that this is not something related to
namespaces that I don't understand. From your comment above, I think my
understanding is roughly correct, so I will try to isolate the problem a
bit more carefully.

I am a bit suspicious that this is related to the other sweave/gc
problem I am having, because the error message is somewhat similar to
the message I get when I don't get a segfault. (These errors have always
become segfaults when I set gctorture.) If this is the problem then it
likely has nothing to do with namespaces or sweave, other than the fact
that something tickles a deeper problem in R.

Paul