[Rd] Re: [R] Keyboard problem using RWin 1.7.0 (PR#2798)

DJNordlund at aol.com DJNordlund at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 01:57:18 MEST 2003

This is a report of a keyboard problem using RWin 1.7.0.  The following is
the R version and my system information.

R version
Precompiled binary from CRAN
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R

System Information: Gateway Computer
Processor: Pentium IV 1.4MHz
RAM: 256M
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (Build 2195) Service Pack 3

Bug Description

At startup I get the standard information and prompt.

R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
Version 1.7.0  (2003-04-16)

Type `license()' or `licence()' for distribution details.

Type `contributors()' for more information.

Type `demo()' for some demos, `help()' for on-line help, or
`help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type `q()' to quit R.

If I then paste anything, even something as simple as the character "1"
(without quotes) to the command line, R stops responding to the keyboard.
The "1" is visible on the command line, but pressing <return>, or the arrow
keys, or <esc>, or any other key has no effect.  If the text being pasted is
several lines of code, it is executed correctly, and if it outputs to the
console, the output is seen correctly, but afterwards, the keyboard does not
respond.  Additional code can be pasted to the command line and it also is
executed correctly.

The computer is not completely locking up, nor is RWin. I can still use the
mouse to select R menu items, for example, reading documentation, sourcing
files, even pasting more text.  I can also use <alt>-<tab> to switch between
other programs running under Windows, where the keyboard works just fine.

Experimenting with these possibilities actually led to a simple work around
for me.  After pasting text to the command line (which stops keyboard
responding), doing any of the following restores keyboard response:

1. Switching to any other running program (like an editor) and then switching
back to R;
2. pressing <ctrl>-<esc> to bring up the Windows Start menu and then going
back to R;
3. using the R menus to source a file or read documentation.  (If I use the R
menu to source some code, the  output of the sourced code appears in the
console window "above" the pasted text, pushing the previously pasted line of
text down on the screen.)
4. simply minimizing the console window and then restoring it.

<Speculation warning>
It would appear that anything that takes the focus away from the console
window "clears" whatever problem is caused by pasting text to the command
line.
<speculation off>

Dan Nordlund

	[[alternate HTML version deleted]]