[Rd] building R 1.7.0 under RH7.3 (PR#2808)

Kurt Hornik hornik at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Apr 22 20:44:12 MEST 2003

>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>   Send mail to mime at docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.

> ---559023410-959030623-1050952576=:23064

> The configure process does not seem to be working as well as it had
> for previous versions ... constantly seems to complain about being
> unable to determine environment variables.

> I am trying to use the PG set of compilers (because the netCDF library
> was built with them, and I will need to use it. I have had problems
> with this in the past, although particularly with the Intel
> Compilers).

> setenv R_PAPERSIZE letter
> setenv CC pgcc
> setenv F77 pgf90
> setenv CXX pgCC
> [note ALL other environment vars are "undefined", including LD_LIBRARY_PATH]

> Linux poorman 2.4.18-17.7.xsmp #1 SMP Tue Oct 8 12:37:04 EDT 2002 i686
> unknown RH 7.3, on a 1.7Ghz Pentium

> ./configure --prefix=/contrib/R-1.7.0 >& configure.attempt.1

> results in two things --

> The first is that there seems to be a "-x" getting fed to the PG
> compilers, which is not a valid option.  I don't know if this is the
> root problem ...

> The second (and seemingly fatal one) is "unable to determine
> CPICFLAGS".  So -- I set it and try again ...

> setenv CPICFLAGS -kpic ./configure --prefix=/contrib/R-1.7.0 >&
> configure.attempt.2

> which  generates "unable to determine FPICFLAGS" ...

> and the same scenario is repeated several more times, with "the next"
> environment variable not getting useful default values ...

> Anyone else report this?

Tim,

[Note that attachments are not preserved properly.]

I am not sure about the -x: I do not see this anywhere in the code.

I don't think that configure is in a position to deal with the pg
compilers by itself: it simply does not know about them.  (Seems that
there is no libtool support either.)

I'll be happy to add support for these, though.  We'd need to know the
right settings for the C/C++/F77 picflags (always -kpic?  Would -fPIC
work?) and the main_ldflags and shlib_ldflags ...

Best
-k