[Rd] Re: Default value for title in postscript()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 19:56:16 MEST 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Martin Maechler wrote:

> [ This really should have gone to R-devel instead of R-help.
>   I'm now diverting -- and please leave off "R-help" when replying again.
> ]

>     PaCo> I like the fact that the postscript function enables
>     PaCo> the possbiility of a more useful title than before.
>     PaCo> However, I'd prefer the default to be the file name.
>
>     PaCo> It's very simple for me to make my own postscript
>     PaCo> function that does just that simply by setting title =
>     PaCo> file.  I always use onefile = TRUE, so it always works
>     PaCo> (so far).  However, I'm a little reluctant to do that
>     PaCo> in case some future changes cause conflicts.  I've
>     PaCo> been warned off tinkering with .Internal
>
>     PaCo> My question is: What is the tidiest way of doing such
>     PaCo> a thing?  Should I make a private function that calls
>     PaCo> the standard postscript function,
>
> yes, your own function calling the standard high-level postscript(),
> not some low-level {.Internal(), .Call(), .C() or .For..... } --
> these all may be changed "without notice" !}
>
>     PaCo> or should I go the whole hog and make an S4 type method to handle it?
>
>     PaCo> Or would it be simpler for the standard function to be changed
>
> certainly simpler for you.. ;-)
>
> I tend to agree that a change might be useful --
> For the new default, I'd actually go further and propose
> something like (when file = "Rplots.ps")
>
>    "Rplots.ps [from R 1.7.0]"
>
>     PaCo> (assuming, of course, there aren't good reasons
>     PaCo> against doing that)?
>
> Unfortunately, there's a good reason: back-compatibility.
> In spite of that, I do advocate a change.

I'm lost here!

Most people don't care what the title is, and I left it as previous
versions gave.  Why would anyone want the title in the file to default to
the file name, which in any case defaults to something anodyne?

There's a general R principle here: the person who does the work gets to
choose the details.  Patrick: if you had submitted a comprehensive patch,
you might have got to choose!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk