[Rd] RE: [R] ^ operation much slower in R 1.7.1 than in R 1.7.0 ???

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Aug 5 14:41:10 MEST 2003

All R versions from 1.0 to 1.7.0 did a similar job here (of course, the
computer and OS matters, but considering relative results). And suddenly
1.7.1 is 5 to 10 times slower than all previous versions! This is not just a
question of 10 sec. I am not the kind of people to say, booarf! What's those
10 sec in my life? I am the kind of people to ask questions when such thing
happens. OK, I did not checked for accuracy (and I hope 'make check-all' did
some test for me). I do not know about this miraculous new algorithm that is
so accurate that it is worth performing the calculation 5 to 10 times slower
than the previous one. Sorry for my ignorance.

Philippe Grosjean