[Rd] event loop

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Aug 14 08:08:44 MEST 2003

Stefano Iacus wrote:
> Ok, I've find out the solution.
>
> I'm using
>
> R_runHandlers(R_InputHandlers, R_checkActivity(10, 1));
>
> in the EventLoopTimer.
>
> Now x11 works fine and also RGL run smoothly.

Great; nice work.

> I'm sure about the parameters used in R_checkActivity. Any hints is
> welcome.

The 1 merely ensures that we don't look for events on stdin
and concentrate only on the secondary event sources.
So this is the right thing.

The 10 (first argument) is the number of microseconds to wait/block
when looking for input on any of the event queues (file descriptors).
You could make this 0 and the call to select() will return immediately
and not wait for events. This might be the right thing when running in
a timer action.

 D.