[Rd] [Mac] R as a Framework

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:50:16 MEST 2003

In case anyone cares, I more or less have R building as a framework
under 10.2---it turned out to be not-so-difficult. Basically the
install_name had to be changed (-install_name
R.framework/Versions/1.8.0/R). Note that the install_name isn't a fully
qualified path, which threw me off for a while. Then the library
modules relinked with -framework R, which I built in main for, uh,
convenience, (-F$(topdir)/src/main -framework R) instead of against
libR.dylib.

I think it would also be possible to build R as a private framework,
though the linking for libraries becomes, I think, a bit trickier. I
also haven't worked on R CMD at all so it still builds the old way.
Things seem to work so far, R.framework/Resources/bin/R comes up just
fine from Terminal and finds the library dylibs OK--- in this case R
CMD install still works since libR.dylib is still put in the bin
directory so modules linked against it can still load.

So far it was all done by hand, but I hope to automate the process. My
next trick will be to have Cocoa and the R event loop live together in
peace and harmony (which _should_ work, since Carbon and Cocoa both
ultimately employ CFRunLoop, so I'm hoping to just punt the setup into
the appropriate locations within the Cocoa app).  :-)