[Rd] alpha-numeric order bug (PR#3996)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 18:22:42 MEST 2003

Oh, please don't report your misunderstandings as bugs.  Do at least read
the help page first!

Incidentally, the version of `SPlus' (sic) matters critically here.  On my
RedHat system " 2" < "10" is TRUE, but then I am not in your locale.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 kschlauc at vt.edu wrote:

> I am running R version 1.7.1 on 3 different operating systems:
> Linux RedHat, Linux Slackware, and Windows 2000.
>
> R is ordering alpha-numeric character strings in different ways, dependent
> on the operating system.

[...]

And what does it say in ?Comparison it does?

> Is this a RedHat problem or an R problem?

Another possibility you have overlooked is a Karen Schlauch problem

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk