[Rd] xtabs or model.frame (PR#5461)

rmh at surfer.sbm.temple.edu rmh at surfer.sbm.temple.edu
Tue Dec 2 07:22:12 MET 2003

# Your mailer is set to "none" (default on Windows),
# hence we cannot send the bug report directly from R.
# Please copy the bug report (after finishing it) to
# your favorite email program and send it to
#
#       r-bugs at r-project.org
#

Here is the bug report I got from Professor Hsuan, and my exploration
of it.  The cause of the problem is that a character vector is not
coerced to factor by xtabs or model.frame.

Is it a bug?  I think yes.  Character vectors are so frequently
coerced to factor that it is reasonable to assume that it will happen
here.  The documentation is ambiguous as ?xtabs says
 formula: a formula object with the cross-classifying variables,
          separated by `+', on the right hand side.  Interactions are
          not allowed.
It says "variables", not "factors", implying to us that the coercion to
factor will take place.

Rich