[Rd] RAqua line-editor navigation keys

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 3 18:52:18 MET 2003

Peter McMahan <peter_mcmahan at yahoo.com> writes:

> this is a suggestion for a feature in future releases
> of RAqua for mac OS X:
> It would be very nice if the gui conformed to the
> navigation keys that most other os x apps do (with the
> exception of ms word and mozilla).  i am referring to
> the use of ctrl- f, b, n, p, e, and a for navigating
> forward one character, backwards one character, up one
> line, down one line, to the end of a line, and to the
> beginning of a line, respectively.  also, ctrl-d to
> delete forward would be convenient.

I believe these started as the emacs (and later readline) keybindings.

> these work in the command-line version from terminal
> because they work with everything in terminal.

I imagine they work in R under a terminal because of inclusion of the
readline library, not because "they work with everything".

> this is not major, of course, but it would be nice and would go a
> long way to make RAqua feel more native to os x.

Alternatively, you could use the ESS package with emacs or xemacs
under OS X (but I can understand if emacs doesn't seem very
Macintosh-like :-). Anyone who has attended presentations by both Steve
Jobs and Richard Stallman would have difficulty imagining the two of
them finding common ground.

Douglas Bates                            bates at stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598
University of Wisconsin - Madison        http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~bates/