[Rd] Loading R 1.8.1 (PR#5509)

Brian.Middleton at astrazeneca.com Brian.Middleton at astrazeneca.com
Thu Dec 4 12:54:59 MET 2003

I downloaded the latest Windows version 1.8.1 from
http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/  (21/11/03 R-1.8.1.tar then to-day the file
is R-1.8.1.tgz) and from Windows unzipped the file.  The directory R-1.8.1
is created (rather than rw1081) but no subdirectory 'bin'.  I cannot see any
.dll nor .exe files in the directory and I understand from Brian Ripley's
page of 'R for Windows FAQ' there should be a 'bin' subdirectory.

2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
You need Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP: Windows 3.11+win32s will not work.
Your file system must allow long file names (as is likely except perhaps for
some network-mounted systems).
If you want to build packages from sources, we recommend that you choose an
installation path not containing spaces. (Using a path with spaces in will
probably work, but is little-tested.)
To use rw1081.exe or miniR.exe. Just double-click on the icon and follow the
instructions. If you installed R this way you can uninstall it from the
Control Panel or Start Menu (unless you supressed making a group for R).
Choose a working directory for R. If you installed manually, make a shortcut
to rw1081\bin\Rgui.exe on your desktop or somewhere on the Start menu file
tree. Right-click the shortcut, select Properties... and change the `Start
in' field to your working directory.

Have I done something wrong ?

I would be grateful for some help,

Thanks,