[Rd] matrix coercion, logical -> character

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon Dec 8 19:43:50 MET 2003

It seems another reason to make the change would be the
ability to work around the following feature:

 > lmat <- as.matrix(data.frame(a=c(FALSE, TRUE)))
 > lmat
1 "FALSE"
2 " TRUE"
 > mode(lmat) <- "logical"
 >
 > lmat
1 FALSE
2    NA

Numeric, character and logical were mentioned.  Complex data
frames coerce to complex matrices already.

Apropos of this, it would be good to put a See Also "complex"
in the "numeric" help file and vice versa.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696