[Rd] Reorganization of packages in the R distribution

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 13 08:36:27 MET 2003

Thanks Luke for longer explanation.  I had been writing one between
meetings yesterday (in response to the original complaint), which almost
duplicated this.  Three points from mine not yet covered explicitly and
which provide further pieces of rope:

1) Objects from tframe may or may not have a class. If they do, you could
implement start.tframe to handle them partly and otherwise call
NextMethod().  If they do not, you could add a class (preferably) or you
could take over start.default.  It is much safer to take over a method
than mess with a generic.

2) Redefining the generic start() probably does not do what you think it
does since the advent of namespaces.  Now all the ts functions are in a
namespace (true since 1.7.0), all of them will use the system's start()
and not yours.  One loophole (deliberate) is that the system start()
generic does not look within the current namespace first for methods (as
normally functions are looked up), so if you redefine a method, you will
get your copy used by the system generic.  (Conversely, if you redefine a
generic it only gets used in your code and it may well not see the
system's methods.)

3) I am reluctant to even mention this, but you could add a namespace to
your package, have a generic within it and register the system's methods
as methods for your generic.  Don't go there.  And don't even think about
redefining the system's generic in its namespace, even though there is a
documented way to do so.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Luke Tierney wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>
> > If  I understand this change correctly, I think is wrong for R-core to
> > think it is a small change. It has much more serious consequences for me
> > than any changes introduced  R 1.0. It definitely should not be
> > introduced at a dot level release unless there is a fairly simple
> > mechanism to deal with the implications. It breaks  6 of my 9 packages
> > on CRAN at a fairly fundamental level,  2 more at a less serious level,
> > and some packages I have not yet release.

But there is a lack of independence: it breaks no other package on CRAN
(all the other breakages are looking explicitly in what are now wrong
places, in some cases calling C-level entry points which are not in the
API).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk