[Rd] getOption("repositories")

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 23:33:47 MET 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jeff Gentry wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what happened to this?
>
> With 1.8.1 it returns:
> > getOption("repositories")
>                                      CRAN
>   "http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib"
>                                      BIOC
> "http://www.bioconductor.org/src/contrib"
>
> With R-devel it returns:
> > getOption("repositories")
> NULL
>
> It appears to have been taken out when the changes were committed for the
> base package split, from /src/library/profile/Rprofile.unix and
> Rprofile.windows but I didn't see any mention of this in NEWS.

It isn't needed to be set any more by default: it merely duplicated the
information in options CRAN and BIOC.

Rather, it seems to have been *added* without being mentioned in NEWS, and
not to be documented in ?options.  It wasn't set correctly on Windows for
a long time (which might have been noticed if it had been documented).

BDR

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk