[Rd] getOption("repositories")

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 23:51:38 MET 2003

Well,

1) it is not documented and
2) if set, it works in packageStatus().

Relying on undocumented features is bound to cause problems (and I take it
as significant that you silently removed that part of my message).

Any well-weitten code will do something sensible if an option is not set,
especially an undocumented one.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jeff Gentry wrote:

> > It isn't needed to be set any more by default: it merely duplicated the
> > information in options CRAN and BIOC.
>
> IMO, it is more useful then that, however.  The nice thing about
> "repositories" is that it provided one spot which could have 1->n
> repositories listed.  Having a catch all "repositories" option makes it
> easier to add new repositories in the future (functions written to work
> against online repositories only have to work against
> 'getOption("repositories")' and not worry about having to hardcode any
> future repositories) as well as allowing the user to add in repositories
> of their own on their person setup.

Haivng an incorrectly set option seems to me to be worse than useless, and
that has been the situation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk