[Rd] RE: [R] Bus error with xyplot

Paul Murrell p.murrell@auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 4 00:00:06 2003

Hi

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
 > I have suggested before that grid be more closely integrated with R, and
 > become a base package.  Then grid would only be changed when the R
version
 > changes, and the critical incompatibility goes away.

Some arguments against:
(i)  grid is the only thing using (i.e., testing) large parts of the
under-development graphics API.
(ii)  Moving grid into base would bloat base;  we're keener on making
base more slim-line right?  (Once the API is complete, we could
theoretically move base graphics into an add-on too.  And all the
devices ...)
(iii)  With grid as an add-on it can have asynchronous patch versions
(iv)  In practice this is happening now anyway (new minor version of
grid and lattice only with each minor version of R)

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics