[Rd] Verbosity when using urls in R-devel

Jeff Gentry jgentry@jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 6 19:12:02 2003

Hello ...

Using a relatively recent rsync of R-devel (it started at least after
1/16/03 as I have a copy of R-devel from then and this doesn't happen),
I've noticed a bit more chatter to the console when accessing URL
connections.

> z <- url("http://www.bioconductor.org/main.html")
> readLines(z)[1]
connected to 'www.bioconductor.org' on port 80.
<snip normal output>

This seems to be coming from R/src/modules/internet

Is this something transient for development purposes, or is it intended to
remain in the code?  If the latter, is there some way to turn it off
(outside of sinking output)?  If one has code which is accessing many url
connections, the screen can get quite spammy.

Thanks
-Jeff