[Rd] require vs library

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 08:28:03 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, kjetil brinchmann halvorsen wrote:

> On this theme, I have another question. I have a package
> which needs another package (SuppDists) for only one
> function. I do require() within that function only. Is that OK,
> or should it be done within .First.lib ?

Yes, that's fine.  I should have stressed *at the top level* below.
In one scenario we have been experimenting with the objects in a package
are dumped to a database, and then loading the package makes the objects
available as promises and no longer executes the original package code.
Another scenario is to install with --save.