[Rd] Re: error from sample if sampling length one character (PR#2546)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 09:53:02 2003

> Sample gives an error if it is sampling a length one character
> vector:
>
> > sample('a', 1)
> Error in sample(x, size, replace, prob) : invalid first argument

>From the help page:

       x: Either a (numeric, complex, character or logical) vector of
          more than one element from which to choose, or a positive
          integer.

so this is as documented, hence not a bug.

[Re-created from the R-bugs page as my mail server is offline.]