[Rd] Re: Matrix Package for R

Douglas Bates bates@stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 30 17:34:03 2003

You will need both the Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines (BLAS) and a
version of Lapack to install the Matrix package.  I'm not sure if
pre-compiled versions are available for Solaris 7.  I believe that is
a rather old version of the Sun OS.

After R-1.7.0 is released in April, 2003 it should be possible to use
the Matrix package on any platform with R as Brian Ripley has
incorporated Lapack sources into the development version of R.

I am sending a copy of this reply to the R-devel@R-project.org list in
case someone reading that list can advise you on how to install Lapack
and BLAS on Solaris 7