[Rd] R won't use http_proxy (PR#3558)

michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 15:20:59 MEST 2003

Full_Name: Michael Watson
Version: 1.7.1
OS: Suse Linux 8.1
Submission from: (NULL) (149.155.96.3)

I am using Suse Linux 8.1:

IAHC-LINUX03:~ # uname -a
Linux IAHC-LINUX03 2.4.20-64GB-SMP #1 SMP Mon Mar 17 17:56:03 UTC 2003 i686
unknown unknown GNU/Linux

and R 1.7.1:

IAHC-LINUX03:~ # R --version
R 1.7.1 (2003-06-16).
Copyright (C) 2003 R Development Core Team

You are welcome to redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License.  For more information about these matters,
see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.

I have set my http_proxy environment variable to http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk,
which is the correct address of my proxy.  When I try update.packages() within
R, it does NOT use my proxy at all:

IAHC-LINUX03:~ # echo $http_proxy
http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080/
IAHC-LINUX03:~ # R

R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
Version 1.7.1  (2003-06-16)

Type `license()' or `licence()' for distribution details.

Type `contributors()' for more information.

Type `demo()' for some demos, `help()' for on-line help, or
`help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type `q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

> options(internet.info=0)
> update.packages()
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
        cannot open URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'

You will note that R does not state that it is using a proxy server.