[Rd] Slow ttests in R-devel

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Jun 5 10:27:34 MEST 2003

Some revisions were committed this morning to R-patched that appear to
fix the problems with caching methods, which apparently were the cause
of the slow-downs.

The test I've been using for caching runs Doug & Saikat's lme example
from lme4.  See attached file.  The same style test could be used for
any particular expression.  There are still a couple of peculiarities --
for some reason it takes 3 executions of some expressions involving
callNextMethod to cache everything.  And, of course, other tests may
raise new issues.  But Doug and Saikat have done a good job of using
lots of features!  Many thanks.

The current code passes check-all here.  Please let me know of any
problems.  I'll be away the rest of today, but back tomorrow.

John