[Rd] R CMD check: is it error to setMethod for class not currently defined?

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Jun 7 23:16:39 MEST 2003

Should R CMD check consider it an error to define a new method using
setMethod for a class which is not currently defined? It seems to me that
it would be best not to consider this an error.

What currently happens in that setMethod issues a warning, quite correctly.
This warning produces an object 'last.warning'. Then R CMD check issues a
WARNING that 'last.warning' is an undocumented code object.

Would it be a good idea to make R CMD check disregard the object
'last.warning' when checking for undocumented code objects? If people
agree, I could try to make a patch for the R CMD check code.

Gordon

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status   Patched
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    05
day      13
language R

Dr Gordon K Smyth, Senior Research Scientist, Bioinformatics,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
Tel: (03) 9345 2326, Fax (03) 9347 0852,
Email: smyth at wehi.edu.au, www: http://www.statsci.org