[Rd] Re: [R] early R messages to stdout

John Zedlewski johnz at vmware.com
Tue Jun 10 15:56:55 MEST 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 03:59 am, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> No patch was included in the distributed message.  Moved to R-devel, as
> this is not a help question.

Maybe the attachment was stripped by mailman. Hopefully the diff (which is now
attached inline at the end of this message) will clear up all of these
questions.
Perhaps the web page http://www.r-project.org/mail.html should be changed
then? It currently says that r-help is for, among other things: "enhancements
and patches to the source code and documentation of R"

> By not having R_ConsoleFile set R_WriteConsole is used.
> I don't think you can assume that all users of that code will have a
> stderr.

The original code itself makes this assumption. On all non-aqua UNIX systems,
the code unconditionally sets R_ConsoleFile to stderr. My code simply moves
up the location of that setting.

> If you find the warnings (*not* errors) annoying, don't misuse R by
> supplying incorrect arguments.  Use e.g. environment variables to pass
> your input.

Why is it a misuse to pass arguments to an R program? Every modern interpreter
on UNIX systems allows this functionality. If you have an R program that
requires 4 input variables, it is quite inconvenient to require the user to
set them all as environment variables.

Similarly, all UNIX programs are expected to display unexpected error and
warning messages to stderr and regular output to stdout, so that users can
redirect them as desired.

Diff follows:

*** R-1.7.0-old/src/unix/system.c	2003-03-11 16:09:47.000000000 -0800
--- R-1.7.0/src/unix/system.c	2003-06-08 19:47:59.000000000 -0700
***************
*** 125,130 ****
--- 125,134 ----
      ptr_R_savehistory = Rstd_savehistory;
      R_timeout_handler = NULL;
      R_timeout_val = 0;
+ #ifndef HAVE_AQUA
+     R_Outputfile = stdout;
+     R_Consolefile = stderr;
+ #endif

      R_GlobalContext = NULL; /* Make R_Suicide less messy... */

***************
*** 240,252 ****
      R_Interactive = isatty(0);
  #ifdef HAVE_AQUA