[Rd] compiling R-1.7.0 on alphaev6-dec-osf5.1

Linus Nilsson linus at maths.lth.se
Fri Jun 13 11:58:00 MEST 2003

Hello!

I'm trying to compile R-1.7.0 on a host of type alphaev6-dec-osf5.1.
gcc/g++ is version 2.9-gnupro-99r1.
./configure fails with the following last words:

checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 828617:./conftest: /sbin/loader: Error:
libncurses.so.4: symbol "LINES" unresolved
828617:./conftest: /sbin/loader: Fatal Error: Load of "./conftest" failed:
Unresolved symbol name
configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (int), 77
See `config.log' for more details.

Is this a problem with the installed version of the compiler or with
the curses-library, both, or something else (if more configure output is
needed to determine this, I will gladly provide it)? Any ideas on what
it is that goes wrong and how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Linus Nilsson <linus at maths.lth.se>