[Rd] order of package loading and printing messages to console on startup

Roger Peng rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 4 17:52:52 MET 2003

Recently in R-devel, I've noticed that when I start up R, code in
.Rprofile (in the working directory) gets sourced but any messages printed
out by that code (e.g. by `cat') are printed *before* the introductory
statement about R.

For example, if I put the line

library(KernSmooth)

in my .Rprofile file, I get

artemis:> R
KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997

R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
Version 1.7.0 Under development (unstable) (2003-03-04)

Type `license()' or `licence()' for distribution details.

[...]

I assume this is because of the order in which packages are loaded.  I was
wondering if this behavior is desired?  I couldn't find anything in
?Startup.

Obviously not a critical issue but it seems a bit odd. Of course, if I
wrap everything with a call to .First() in my .Rprofile file, then the
package gets loaded last and the corresponding messages are printed last.

I'm using

> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu