[Rd] class of integers

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Mar 12 17:07:46 MET 2003

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused about the class of integers (with yesterdays
r-devel):

R> a <- 1:10
R> class(a)
[1] "integer"
R> inherits(a, "integer")
[1] FALSE
R> data.class(a)
[1] "numeric"
R> is.numeric(a)
[1] TRUE
R> inherits(a, "numeric")
[1] FALSE

data.class is consistent with R-1.6.2, ok. The class of "a" is integer,
also ok. At first: why does "inherits" state that "a" is not of class
integer nor numeric?

And at second: one possible way of writing portable code (between 1.6.2
and 1.7.0) for generics is using:

foo <- function(y, ...) {
  if(is.null(class(y)))
    class(y) <- data.class(y)
  UseMethod("foo", y, ...)
}

foo.default <- function(y, ...) {
  stop(paste("Do not know how to handle objects of class", class(y)))
}

(the thread "[Rd] Methods package is now attached by default" around Jan
20th discussed this)

If I have

foo.numeric <- function(y, ...)

this works with R-1.6.2 but since foo now dispatches on "class(y)" this
fails for integers with r-devel. Does this mean that I have to implement
foo.integer methods?

Best,

Torsten