[Rd] R-devel (1.7 to be) on windows XP

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Mar 31 10:42:55 MEST 2003

kjetil brinchmann halvorsen wrote:
> Hola!
>
> I'm trying to make r-devel on windows XP. I downloaded an hour ago
> R-1.7.0beta_2003-03-30.tar.gz
> make terminates without any error messages, with
> make check I get error messages from tests of internet and
> socket functions, surely because my modem was not
> connected (It doesn't say in the documentation (file INSTALL)
> that internet must be connected under make check.)

Perhaps, but make check tells you:
"running tests of Internet and socket functions ...
   expect some differences"

So you have to be more explicit here ...

Interesting:
The httpget() part hangs on my machine. I'll look closer later this day
or tomorrow...

> But the file base-Ex.Rout has as last line
> quit('no'), which I take to mean the rest of the checks went
> well?
 >
> make in directory \bitmap went without error messages,
> (but I had to say just make and not make bitmapdll as INSTALL says.)

"make bitmapdll" in ...\src\gnuwin32 or "make" in ...\src\gnuwin32\bitmap.

> Then, after installing the files from R_Tcl.zip using unzip from the
> tools collection:

You have to unzip it in ...\R-1.7.0 , *not* in ...\src\gnuwin32 or
anywhere else.

> C:\R\R17beta\R-1.7.0\src\gnuwin32>make tcl
> make tcl

[SNIP]

> Then
>
> make recommended
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: incomplete final line found by readLines on `C:\R\R17beta\R-
> 1.7.0\src\library\survival/man/clogit.Rd'

[SNIP]
confirmed...

> stataread.c: In function `R_LoadStataData':
> stataread.c:144: warning: `labeltable' might be used uninitialized in
> this function
> ar cr foreign.a *.o

[SNIP]

> and no more warnings, and no errors. Are this warnings expected?

I think so.

> Then
> make check-recommended
>
> runs without giving any errors.
>
> Then
>
> C:\R\R17beta\R-1.7.0\src\gnuwin32>make docs
> make docs
> collecting LaTeX docs for package `base' ...
>       6 [main] sh 2396 proc_subproc: Couldn't duplicate my
> handle<0x7D8> for pid 0, Win32 error 6
>
> with some similar errors later, but the pdf docs seem to
> build correctly
>
> Because of the problems (most serious Tcl) I did'nt try
> to build the installers.
>
> One other "problem":  INSTALL says that, among othres,
>  hhc.exe needs to be in the path. I don't have it in the path, and
> more, does'nt know what it is or what it is supposed to do.
> Can this be cause of some of the problems above?

hhc.exe is from Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop (see INSTALL for details
where to get it from, or Brian's page).
You cannot build *.chm help files without it.

Uwe Ligges