[Rd] pnorm conditional (PR#2883)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 2 11:00:23 MEST 2003

    Daniel> I was going over the source in src/nmath/pnorm.c and
    Daniel> noticed a little bug in pnorm_both (in R 1.7.0).
    Daniel> The else-if on line 205 covers the entire real line.
    Daniel> Seems you want an &&, not an ||.  Doesn't make a big
    Daniel> difference (you still get a 0 or 1 from extreme
    Daniel> starting values) but your log refinements will
    Daniel> always be skipped.

Thank you, Daniel!
You are right about the || typo.  However as I found things are
a bit more subtle.  The last clause now always has been
skipped and the if( || ) was James Rath's contribution
subsequent to his PR#699 , including the mentioned asymptotic
expansion for the log_p clause.
Now because of the typo that log_p case had not ever been in use
in the past and I know found that part the "*ccum = -0." clearly
is sub-optimal and worse than the current log_p behavior.

Anyway, this is being fixed for 1.7.1, but the patch will be
more than the 2-letter replacement,  s/||/&&/

Please let me know (off the mailing list) if you're interested
in more details.

Thanks again.
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><