[Rd] Tolerances in glm.control

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 9 13:08:10 MEST 2003

I have tightened the tolerances in glm.control in R-devel (aka 1.8.0 Under
Development) from epsilon = 1e-4 to 1e-8, and increases maxit from 10 to
25.

Normally the effect is to do one more iteration and get more accurate
results.  However, in cases of partial separation several more iterations
will be done and it will be clearer from the results which parameters are
converging and which are diverging (to +/-Inf).

I have been meaning to do this for some time (the defaults seemed
appropriate to computer speeds at the 1991 origin of glm in S3), but have
only this time remembered at the beginning of a release cycle.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk