[Rd] bug and proposed fix in print.trellis 1.7.0 (PR#2859)

deepayan at stat.wisc.edu deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Tue May 13 23:26:56 MEST 2003

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I didn't have time to look at this earlier.

On Sunday 27 April 2003 09:44, rmh at surfer.sbm.temple.edu wrote:

> The new feature described in rw1070/library/lattice/Changes is very
> useful and is needed for several of the examples I showed at DSC-2003.
>
> > scales
> > ------
> > In anticipation of future use (in nlme, for example), the at and
> > labels components of scales can now be a list. Each element
> > corresponds to a panel. This is thoroughly untested and not guaranteed
> > to work.

It's not at all clear from this entry, but I meant to do this only when
relation="free" or "sliced" in scales, because those are the only cases in
which different tick positions and labels can be guaranteed to be associated
with each panel. In the relation = "same" case, changing the layout changes
which labels go with which panel (and if alternating = 0 or 3, it's even
ambiguous).

I notice now that your first example (with the 'at' but no 'labels') does
produce some output that seems to take the list into account, but that was
unintended. My preference would be to produce an error in such cases, but I'm
open to other suggestions.

Do you really need this ? I think relation="free" would suit your purpose
quite well, at least in the given example. Perhaps I could additionally allow
'limits' (which is ignored now for relation="free") to be a list as well.

Deepayan