[Rd] "Writing R Extensions" documentation (PR#3003)

John_Hendrickx at yahoo.com John_Hendrickx at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 15:17:30 MEST 2003

Full_Name: John Hendrickx
Version: 1.7.0
OS: Windows XP
Submission from: (NULL) (80.126.78.108)

I have a few suggestions for the documentation "Writing R Extensions". I found
there's no mention there of "package.skeleton" and that "prompt" is mentioned
only halfway through. It would be better to mention both near the beginning of
the documentation, they're a great help for (first-time) users.

It might also be a good idea to point out what you need to build a package at
the beginning of the documentation, particularly for Windows users. A standard R
installation under Windows doesn't include "rcmd" for example, you have to
request the R source package installation files. If you mention this and then
direct Windows users to the "Building R for Windows" site
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/ they'll be all set.

Hope these suggestions are useful,
John Hendrickx